Saturday, September 22, 2012

You Got It, Dude: A Love Letter to Full House

Via Andrea Barber's Twitter 09/22/12
Twenty-five years ago today, a sitcom with a bizarre, fairly homoerotic concept premiered. It was a show about three men raising three girls.

This show, aptly titled "Full House," explains why I am the way that I am. Seriously. Literally everything that's wrong with me can be traced back to Full House. The way I dress (like Stephanie Tanner), the way I socialize (like Kimmy Gibbler) and the way I speak (like I'm always determined to find a good one-liner) and even the way I hug (like every Tanner) can all be blamed on the fact that I was raised on Full House.

It wasn't like I had a terrible family or anything and I was forced to turn the Tanners to obtain my daily dose of familial love. My parents tried to control my addiction. If I got in trouble, I was punished by being banned from watching Full House. They thought I would grow out of it. When I was 12, I distinctly remember my mom saying, "Aren't you a little old to be watching that?"

Fast forward to 10 years later. I'm a 22-year-old grad student and I'm spending my Saturday night laughing hysterically as I watch Jesse Katsopolis do the Jess Man. ("Whassup!") Yes, the show is cheesy, but it does everything my ideal family sitcom should do: 1) make me laugh (Say what you will, but Stamos has excellent comedic timing.) and 2) remind me that I'm not dead inside (Remember when Stephanie lost Mr. Bear?!)

Full House is also the reason I want to be a television writer. That could say a lot about my writing abilities (especially my joke-writing abilities), but I am totally unapologetic about this fact. Maybe Full House isn't "cool," but it's a sometimes-ridiculous, sometimes-hilarious nostalgia trip. Some of the jokes, believe it or not, still hold up. A few lines that still make me laugh:

Becky: "Why are you dying your hair?"
Jesse: "'Cause I'm worth it."

Sylvio: "Mr. Tanner, your daughter is the most beautiful woman in the world."
Danny: "She's okay."

Michelle: "Daddy's a girl."
Stephanie: "No, he's a woman."
Kimmy: "An ugly woman."

Gia: "Hi, little Michelle. Are you ready for your first day of third grade?"
Michelle: "Are you ready for your third year of seventh grade?"

Michelle: "Got a smoke?"
Claire: "Oh, no. I'm sorry, I quit."
Michelle: "Too bad. I'm trying to start."

And now for three of my favorite scenes. Because this is my blog.

1) TELL ME THIS IS NOT ROMANTIC.



2) This one is a tearjerker. Seriously!



3) Look at the guy's ponytail!



That's enough. Happy Full House Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment